Sunday, February 25, 2007

TryCycling

I went on a bike ride today (trying to build stamina and confidence for a cycling holiday in May - we're going to the Outer Hebrides for a week). I heard about a group that go out for 10 mile (ish) rides once a month - at a very gentle pace and with a stop for coffee/cakes at some point, so I decided to give them a go.

They were a very friendly bunch - 36 people turned up: their biggest ever meet - and this was despite the pouring rain at mustering time. Luckily it cleared up a bit for most of the ride. There were some impressive puddles though. I grabbed a few photos en route - see my Picasa photo album for more.
(no one fell in the canal)

17 comments:

Janet said...

We've not cycled since our last bikes were stolen........

Anonymous said...

ALL the bikes stolen?

By the way, Livy: nice pictures but the so-called swans are geese.

Anonymous said...

By the way, chaps, as this is a chatroom, really: Mary says we could have all warrants and tenders in by early April and be on site in May. I am not sure I believe this, but oo er.

Livia said...

May which year?

Anonymous said...

Ha very ha.

Max said...

May which year?

When I first heard this I replied "3955 AD", but that was just bad timing on Cecilia's part.

Janet said...

We do have children's bikes.
The bikes were not stolen at the same time. First Steve's was stolen (from work) and, whilst he was thinking of replacing it, he was using mine which was then stolen as well (from outside St Peters during evensong).

St Peters is notorious place (amongst our friends). Virtually all have had something stolen from there. S and I 2 bikes and the motorbike (which was recovered)and a motor bike tax disc, David Ingram and Eileen have both had cars stolen, and another David had the wheels stolen from his landrover whilst he was preaching.

Steve used to get through a bike a year through theft, potholes or mad Volvo drivers.

Great news re building work (fingers crossed)

Livia said...

Have you considered investing in bike locks and cables?!

Anonymous said...

Anyone know what sort of geese they are? Someone who lives near Slimbridge?

Janet said...

My motorbike had a citadel lock on it. What more can you do?

Janet said...

I think that you need Diana to answer this. I can tell that they are geese-like birds but can be no more specific than that. They seem a bit too dark to be canada geese or barnacle geese.

Livia said...

They're metal. I think of Canada Geese, but I didn't ask them.

Anonymous said...

I had no idea they were metal. Are they from the same world as the pigeons in Leith Walk? They look rather more naturalistic.

Anonymous said...

sorry chaps- that made me laugh like a drain.

Anonymous said...

Kate? Why?

Anonymous said...

Just the idea of you both trying to ID the birds on basis of colour etc and mooting getting in an expert witness when they are sculptures.

Anonymous said...

Well I was at least right when I said they were geese not swans. And have you seen that she has sneakily changed the caption so it looks as if she was right about that all along? The pigeons on Leith Walk are more real than any live ones.