Saturday, September 03, 2011

Op

On Thursday evening I had a phone call from the Royal Infirmary telling me that they'd had a cancellation for Tuesday and could I come in to be operated on?

I had to go in yesterday morning for a pre-op assessment (lots of questions about my health, taking my blood pressure and getting me to tilt my head back and then open my mouth wide to see if my airway was unusual). It didn't take long. They gave me several leaflets about anaesthesia (I'll be having a general anaesthetic) and the operation and post-operative care (no lumpy food for a week, soft food for up to 6 weeks). I have a bit of a cold which could be a problem if it gets worse, but otherwise will be manageable they think.

The operation is a "laparoscopic anterior fundoplication" to fix a large hiatus hernia and a gastric volvulus (upside-down stomach). So since the appointment I've been busy clearing my diary at work and writing hand-over notes for my colleagues. I will be going in to work today to clear things up too. Monday is my last working day and then I will be off "sick" for the first time in about 12 years :(

I should only be in hospital for one night (until they can get me to eat something the day after surgery) then go home and recover for a couple of weeks. So I won't be doing the Pedal for Scotland on Sunday 11th (or 20milers on Saturday 10th, come to that). I should get a chance to do a bit of MSc reading and watch the DVDs that Max sent me for my birthday though!

6 comments:

Cecilia said...

A pity your bad (ish) news goes here and the good stuff to Facebook. Not that the op is bad, of course, It will be good good good and you will feel so much better after it.

Livia said...

I have 200+ friends on Facebook most of whom are not close friends, so that's why it stays on here. Pretty much.

Janet said...

All the best. I'm sure everything will be fine and it's good that you are having it done soon. Means you'll be better soon too.

Livia said...

Of course since I have a cold at the moment they may decide not to operate on the day. In which case I get to wait for another slot. Ah well.

Esther said...

best wishes

Kate said...

best wishes for a speedy recovery